They say it ain’t over til the fat lady sings….well she’s singing and so my SMDL journey is almost at an end!
What are my thoughts having now immersed myself in all things social and media over the last 8 weeks? How do I feel about social media and what will I continue to do (or not?!)
Well apart from finding out that my Lego skills are still there (mostly thanks to my daughter!) during our Lego Serious Play session, it has been a really interesting journey.
My top 5 take aways are…
1. I would like to blog but I’m a bit scared to and I need a good topic area first (all the ones that come to mind right now are taken or just overdone!)
2. My social media fears are mostly in my own head – I will always encounter randomness or receive comments I wasn’t expecting but in ten minutes or so…they’re old news…literally
3. Social Media has a lot to offer – it’s not just a scary space where I have to feel vulnerable. It can generate opportunities, fun, ideas, good conversations, job offers, solutions and much much more…
4. Social Media is something I need to jump on in a professional context before I get left wayyyyy behind. It’s a necessity not a choice.
5. I’m enjoying the general increased interaction with others…more than I thought I would!
So what am I actually going to do?
The first thing is to just take some time to reflect a little and also to sort my social media life out. I need to get up and running on Hootsuite and think about the bits of social media I enjoy and just stop worrying about the bits I don’t like or feel uncomfortable with.
From a professional perspective I hope to incorporate social media in a small way and grow it so that it is embedded in our processes and doesn’t just feel like a fad or too much too soon.
To ease those moments of insanity, I’m going to look at Flickr to remind myself that there is more out there in the world to discover.
So thanks SMDL for helping me to discover the joys of social media. I’m a moderate social media convert – not a resident but definitely a confident and engaged, more frequent visitor.
PS – really going to miss the refreshers…